Ruth J Muschel M.D. Ph.D.
- Cancer and Haematology
- Lukxmi Balathasan, DPhil Student
- YunHong Cao
- Spela Ferjancic, DPhil Student
- Emmanouil Fokas, CRF, DPhil Student
- Annamaria Gal
- Ana Maria Gil Bernabe
- Sally Hill
- JaeHong Im
- Cat Kelly
- Stanley Liu
- Chad McKee
- Stavros Melemendis, DPhil Student
- Laura Phipps, DPhil Student
- Thomas Tapmeier
- Danmei Xu
- Sabira Yameen
- Lei Zhao, China Fellow, CRUK
- Higgins G S, Prevo R, Lee Y-F, Helleday T, Muschel R J, Taylor S, Yoshimura M, Hickson I D, Bernhard E J, and McKenna W G (2010) A siRNA Screen of Genes Involved in DNA Repair Identifies Tumour Specific Radiosensitisation by POLQ Knockdown Cancer Res, 70(7):2984-93.
- Xu D, McKee C M, Cao Y, Ding Y, Kessler B M, and Muschel R J (2010) Matrix metalloproteinase-9 regulates tumor cell invasion through cleavage of protease nexin-1 Cancer Res, 70(17):6988-98.
- Yeung T M, Gandhi S C, Wilding J L, Muschel R, and Bodmer W F (2010) Cancer stem cells from colorectal cancer-derived cell lines Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 107(8):3722-7.
- Al-Assar Osama, Muschel Ruth J, Mantoni Tine S, McKenna W G, and Brunner Thomas B (2009) Radiation response of cancer stem-like cells from established human cell lines after sorting for surface markers. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 75(4):1216-25.
- Carbonell W S, Ansorge Olaf, Sibson Nicola, and Muschel Ruth (2009) The vascular basement membrane as "soil" in brain metastasis. PLoS One, 4(6):e5857.
Despite surgery and/or radiation, many cancer patients, who appear to have localised disease, go on to develop distant metastases. My research group is interested in the mechanisms underlying the development of metastasis.
We have used fluorescent microscopy to define the process of metastasis in the lung, finding adhesion of the tumour cells to the pulmonary blood vessels followed by spreading on the vasculature surface. Surviving cells give rise to early colonies formed within the blood vessels.
Some outstanding questions which we would like to answer are:
- What mechanisms do tumour cells use to arrest and survive at different metastatic organs?
- How do tumor cells interact with the host vasculature during metastasis?
- What are the mechanisms of metastasis to different organs, particularly the liver?
- Why does irradiation of the lung or tumour affect metastasis?
Awards Training and Qualifications
- 1978 M.D. Ph.D., Albert Einstein College of Medicine, New York
- 1972 B.A., Cornell University, Ithaca, NY